Buddha bowls refer to the shape of the food in the bowl, rounded and stuffed. It's an easy way to mix a lot of healthy ingredients into your meal.
Salmon's main health benefits come from the omega 3 fats which are great for your heart and mind. It pairs well with a simple dressing like lemon, butter, garlic and herb, but here is a more involved sauce mix with fresh greens.
Mix all sauce ingredients into a bowl.
RICE VINEGAR: 1 1/2 Tbsp.
LOW SODIUM SOY SAUCE: 2 Tbsp.
FISH SAUCE: 1/2 Tsp.
MAPLE SYRUP: 2 Tbsp.
CHILLI FLAKES: 1/2 Tsp.
GARLIC (minced): 1 Tbsp.
PEANUT OIL: 1 Tbsp.
SESAME OIL: 1 Tbsp.
LEMON: HALF SQUEEZED
GINGER PASTE: 1 Tsp.
BROWN RICE: Cook 1 cup of brown rice w/ 2 cups of water.
SPINACH: 2 - 3 Cups Wash and chop.
CARROT: 1 - 2 Cups washed, peeled and shaved into thin slices.
SALMON FILLET: 4 x 4 oz. fillets thawed and deboned.
COCONUT OIL: 1 Tbsp. on dish used to cook salmon.
CILANTRO PASTE or CHOPPED: 1 Tbsp. or sprinkle chopped as desired.
AVOCADO: 1 cut up into slices.
LIME: Cut up into 4 slices
POMEGRANATE: Remove seeds. Place in a small dish with the juice, as you'll want to save the extra seeds.
EDAMAME: 3/4 cup boiled and drained.
GREEN ONIONS: 1 stalk washed and cut thinly.
BLACK SESAME SEEDS: Sprinkle on top as desired.
1) Mix the sauce together in a bowl. Do a taste test once finished before you drizzle, in case you need to adjust the amounts used to your liking.
2) Marinate the salmon with the sauce drizzled on top of it. Refrigerate overnight if possible in a sealed container or for at least 30mins to let it absorb the flavouring.
3) When you're ready to begin cooking, start with the brown rice. Bring water and rice to a boil. While the rice is heating...
4) Pre heat the oven to 400 degrees and place the salmon in a cooking dish that has the coconut oil rubbed onto it. This will prevent sticking, add flavour and more healthy fats.
5) When your rice is boiling and the oven is hot. Place the salmon in the oven and set timer for 15mins. (Depending on the cut and size of your salmon this may take longer.) Reduce heat to LOW for the rice, which will simmer covered for 20 - 25 mins or until most of the water is gone. Check occasionally and stir to prevent burning.
6) While the salmon and rice are cooking, start to prep your bowl veggies and such. Placing the spinach at the bottom, avocado on the side and squeeze the lime on both. You can also get the edamame ready to boil but wait until closer to serving to cook as they only take a few mins.
7) When the timer goes, check the rice, flip your salmon, add the cilantro and a bit more of the dressing to it, while setting the timer for another 10-15mins. Clean up and prep whatever else is needed while this continues to cook.
8) When all your ingredients are done. Dish them out into your bowl by adding the rice, pomegranate seeds, any other veggies you like, then the salmon. Finish with sesame seeds, a tablespoon of dressing from the pan and a dash of hot sauce on top. Enjoy!
The buddha bowl concept is flexible and full of nutrients, while still being delicious. Select a protein, complex carb and varied veggies with your favourite dressing. It also makes great leftovers for lunch the next day.
Follow me for more healthy recipes and meal ideas!