Adding quinoa as the binding ingredient instead of bread when making meatballs keeps the protein and fibre high with this meal. You can substitute the chicken for another lean meat, like turkey as well.
Quinoa is an ancient grain that absorbs flavours really well. Season with this sauce or your favourite homemade one!
GROUND CHICKEN: 500g
GREEN ONIONS: 1 Stalk chopped
EGG: 1 whole
GARLIC (minced): 2 Tbsp.
HOT SAUCE: 1 Tsp.
SALT & PEPPER: 1 Tsp.
SOY SAUCE: 1 Tbsp.
COOKED QUINOA: 1 Cup
GRAPE SEED OIL: 1 Tbsp.
CORN STARCH: 2 Tsp.
SESAME OIL: 1 Tsp.
MAPLE SYRUP: 1 Tbsp.
GINGER: 1 Tbsp.
SOY SAUCE: 1/4 Cup
RICE VINEGAR: 2 Tbsp.
HOT SAUCE: 1 Tsp.
ROMAIN LETTUCE: 1 Head
RED/YELLOW PEPPERS: 1/2 of each diced into small cubes.
JASMINE RICE: 3/4 Cup
BLACK SESAME SEEDS: DASH
1) Cook the quinoa.
2) Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly oil baking dish.
3) Combine rice and water, then bring to a boil.
4) Combine ground chicken, cooked quinoa, egg, soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil, Salt + pepper, hot sauce. Mix well and roll up into 1 1/2 inch meat balls, making about 15 - 20 of them.
5) Reduce heat to LOW for the rice, stir and cover for approx 12mins.
6) Place the meatballs in a baking dish and cook for approx 20mins or until browned and cooked through.
7) While the meatballs and rice are cooking, wash and prep your salad veggies.
8) Remove the rice from heat and fluff with a fork before covering, until ready to serve.
9) Now mix the sauce ingredients with 1/2 cup of water in large saucepan over medium heat.
10) Mix cornstarch and 1 Tbsp. water in separate, smaller bowl, which you will stir into the soy sauce mixture until thick, approx. 2 mins.
11) Reduce heat and add the cooked meatballs, rolling them into the sauce.
12) Dish the rice onto the salad and the meatballs onto that. Enjoy!
These are great for left overs and they will absorb any flavours you want to mix in. It's a great way to get a quick bite of protein for lunch or dinner.
Follow me @torotactix on IG for more food and fitness!